Frequently Asked Questions
- Are you a school? - No. Mr. Murphey, in founding the agency, named it a school
because he wanted to reflect the fact that the education of children
is a 24/7 process. We do not offer schooling services to members of the community.
- Am I able to enroll my children in your program? All our children are referred through the Division of Family Services.
If you or your family are in need of assistance, please contact your local Division of Family Services office.
- What population do you serve? Our current residential program is designed to provide supervision, structure, and direction
to youth referred for care from all parts of Delaware.
The Elizabeth W. Murphey School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation,
or any other status protected by law.
- I have a child in your program. What are your visitation policies? For more information, you can contact our Director of Programming
at jnye (at) murpheyschool [dot] org. Please be aware that, for the safety of our children, we may not be able to provide you information and
may refer you to your local Division of Family Services office.
- I put your address in my GPS and got sent all around downtown Dover. Where are you exactly? - As we've been around since 1922,
we actually pre-date Route 8! Our mailing address is on Kings Highway, but we are located right on Division Street/Route 8.
Our administration buildings are directly behind the traffic light at the intersection of Division Street and Kent Avenue.
If you're still having trouble finding us, check out our directions page.
- Do you accept donations? - Yes, we do. Check out our donations page for more information.
As we are a 501(c)3 organization, all donations are tax-deductible under United States law.
If you are located outside the United States, please check your local tax laws.
- I'm a former client who is looking for documents from my residence there. How can I see if you still have them? -
You can contact our Director of Personnel at ghalama (at) murpheyschool [dot] org or call her at 302-734-7520.
She will be able to check our records.
Please be aware that you may need to provide proof of identity and if you are requesting the records on behalf of a family member or your own client, we will also require a signed
- Are you accepting applications? - While we may not always have job openings, we are always accepting applications!
Please check out our employment page to see what positions we may have open. You can apply online or print out an application to mail or fax in.
We keep applications on file for six months.
Have any other questions about employment? You can contact our Director of Personnel at ghalama (at) murpheyschool [dot] org or call her at 302-734-7520.
- What are your requirements for employment? - All employees must undergo a state and federal background check,
as well as a pre-employment drug screen. They must have a valid driver's license and have a driving record that will allow us
to add them to our insurance. Experience with at-risk youth is strongly preferred but not required.
- Can I volunteer, or do you provide internships? - We do offer internships and some volunteer opportunities. Both interns
and volunteers must go through the same screening process as our employees. For more information, you can contact our Director of Personnel at
ghalama (at) murpheyschool [dot] org or call her at 302-734-7520.
- Site Credits - Our website layout is modified from the "Elemental" theme from Pixelarity.
Images are from Unsplash. Both are used according to applicable licenses and terms of service.
Code has been edited in NotePad and images have been edited in PaintShopPro.
It is best viewed in Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
Please report any technical problems to our Office Manager at awaggoner (at) murpheyschool [dot] org.